Armstrong D.G., Isaac A.L., Bevilacqua N.J., Wu S.C. Offloading foot wounds in people with diabetes. Wounds. 2014; 26:(1)13-20

Incidence of diabetic foot ulcer and lower extremity amputation among Medicare beneficiaries, 2006 to 2008: Data Points #2. 2011. 2011. (accessed 4 July 2017)

Hingorani A., LaMuraglia G.M., Henke P The management of diabetic foot: a clinical practice guideline by the Society for Vascular Surgery in collaboration with the American Podiatric Medical Association and the Society for Vascular Medicine. J Vasc Surg. 2016; 63:(2)3S-21S

Jupiter D.C., Thorud J.C., Buckley C.J., Shibuya N. The impact of foot ulceration and amputation on mortality in diabetic patients. I: From ulceration to death, a systematic review. Int Wound J. 2016; 13:(5)892-903

Thorud J.C., Plemmons B., Buckley C.J. Mortality after nontraumatic major amputation among patients with diabetes and peripheral vascular disease: a systematic review. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2016; 55:(3)591-599

Bus S.A., Netten J.J. A shift in priority in diabetic foot care and research: 75% of foot ulcers are preventable. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2016; 32:(S1)195-200

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Surveillance Preventive Care Practices. 2014. (accessed 4 July 2017)

Rowley W.R., Bezold C., Arikan Y. Diabetes 2030: Insights from Yesterday, Today, and Future Trends. Popul Health Manag. 2017; 20:(1)6-12

We can not escape the math: the diabetic foot

02 July 2017
Volume 1 · Issue 3

‘One in every four people with diabetes will develop a foot ulcer during their lifetime’

Math has never been my favorite subject, nor one of my best, so when lecturers, scientists and such start talking numbers my brain kind of tunes out. However, when hearing the statistics and numbers regarding the diabetic foot, my jaw dropped, my pulse quickened, and I listened with an overwhelming urge to help do something. Here are just a few current statistics:

Prevention starts with identifying risk and foot care education. The American Diabetes Association recommends annual screening for identification of the high-risk diabetic foot using several simple and quick bedside tests (see page 116). The most recent quality measures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reflect that only 67% of adults ≥18 years with diagnosed diabetes received a foot exam in the last year.7 My thought is what about the other 33% and those that were not included in the survey. Was it due to no insurance, limited access to health care, or sloppy clinicians?

Register now to continue reading

Thank you for visiting Wound Central and reading some of our peer-reviewed resources for wound care professionals. To read more, please register today. You’ll enjoy the following great benefits:

What's included

  • Access to clinical or professional articles

  • New content and clinical updates each month